GIS/Remote Sensing Specialist
NM Forest and Watershed Restoration Institute
M.A. Masters of Applied Geography, New Mexico State University, Las Cruces, NM (1999)
B.S. World Studies/International Affairs, Nebraska Wesleyan University, Lincoln, NE (1993)
9/2007- present – New Mexico Forest and Watershed Restoration Institute (NMFWRI) New Mexico Highlands University, Las Vegas, NM. GIS Specialist
7/99- 8/2007 – Center for Advanced Land Management Information Technologies (CALMIT) University of Nebraska-Lincoln. Lincoln, Nebraska. GIS and Remote Sensing Research Specialist
1/99 – 6/99 – Center for Applied Remote Sensing in Agriculture, Meteorology, and Ecology (CARSAME). Las Cruces, New Mexico. GIS and Remote Sensing Technician
1/97 – 12/98 – New Mexico State University Department of Geography Las Cruces, New Mexico. Graduate Research and Teaching Assistant
ArcGIS 10.x, Erdas Imagine 10.x, Trimble eCognition, Trimble GPS Pathfinder Office, Garmin GPS, ENVI, UNIX, Microsoft Office/Access, Adobe Photoshop, Macromedia Dreamweaver, HTML, LIDAR specific: QT Modeler, FUSION, LP360, LasTools.
- Vegetation Classification for the Carrizo Largo Landscape Area using eCognition and aerial photography, Bureau of Land Management, $200,000; September 2012 (Co-PI with Dr. Kent Reid).
- Vegetation Classification for the Rosa Landscape Area using eCognition, Bureau of Land Management, $135,000; September 2011(Co-PI with Dr. Kent Reid).
- Remote Sensing Short Course Development for NM Highlands University, USGS, AmericaView- Sub Award, $5,463; December 2009
- Delineation of 2005 Statewide Land Use Patterns For The State of Nebraska Department of Natural Resources (Co-PI with Dr. James Merchant), Nebraska Department of Natural Resources, $497,317; August 2005 – September 2007.
- Land Use Change for the Platte River Cooperative Hydrology Study (Co-PI with Dr. James Merchant), Nebraska Department of Natural Resources, $153,906; December 2001- May 2003.
- GIS Database Development for Norton and Lovewell Reservoirs, KS (Co-PI with Dr. James Merchant), U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, $26, 235; May 2001 – September 2003
- IKONOS Imagery for Kansas and Nebraska Reservoirs (Co-PI with Dr. James Merchant), U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, $40, 541; May 2001 – September 2001
- Land Use Delineation for the Platte River Cooperative Hydrology Study (Co-PI with Dr. James Merchant), Nebraska Department of Natural Resources, $160, 137; July 2001- December 2002.
- Land Cover Inventory of the Niobrara River Watershed (Co-PI with Dr. James Merchant), Nebraska Game and Parks Commission, $49,335; November 2000 – October 2001.
- GIS Database Development for the Rainwater Basin (Co-PI with Dr. James Merchant), U.S. Bureau of Reclamation, $250,000; September 1999 – September 2001.
Selected Presentations and Conference Proceedings:
- Land Cover Classification Development in the BLM Rosa Landscape Area of Rio Arriba County NM .American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Rio Grande Chapter Annual Spring Meeting, April 7, 2012, Las Cruces, NM
- Fire History and Forest Fuel Reduction Efforts in the Estancia Basin of New Mexico – Learning from the November 2007 Ojo Peak Fire. USDA Forest Service Remote Sensing Applications Conference: Supporting Resource Management with Technology. April 15-17, 2008 Salt Lake City Utah.
- Mapping Changes in Irrigated Agriculture within Nebraska’s Central Platte River Basin: 2001-2005 (Poster). 2006 ESRI International User Conference, August 7-11th 2006, San Diego, CA.
- GIS-Based Modeling of Groundwater Pollution Risk: New and Improved Approaches (Poster). American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing, Images to Decisions: Remote Sensing Foundations for GIS Applications, September 12-16, 2004 Kansas City, MO.
- Mapping Irrigation Patterns Within Nebraska’s Central Platte River Basin 1982-2001 (Poster). 2004 ESRI International User Conference, August 9-13th 2004, San Diego, CA.
- Using Satellite Imagery to Estimate Irrigated Land: A Case Study in Scotts Bluff and Kearney Counties, 2003 Nebraska GIS Symposium, May 13-15, Cornhusker Hotel, Lincoln, NE.
- Sediment Modeling in the Rainwater Basin of Nebraska (Poster). 2002 ESRI International User Conference, July 8-12, 2002, San Diego, CA.
- Land Cover Mapping for the Nebraska Cooperative Hydrology Study in the Central Platte River Basin (COHYST), The Geological Society of America annual meeting, October 2002, Denver, CO.
- GIS Database Development for the Rainwater Basin, Rainwater Basin Joint Venture 6th Annual Informational Seminar, February 20, 2001, Hastings, NE.
- A Decision Support System for Soil Productivity and Erosion in Polk County, Nebraska. A.E. Gadem, S. Narumalani, W.J. Waltman, P. Dappen, American Society for Photogrammetry and Remote Sensing Annual Symposium, St. Louis, April 2001.
James W. Merchant and Patti R. Dappen (2010). Geographic Information Technologies forWetlands Management: A Case Study in Nebraska’s Rainwater Basin, chapter submitted for the book, Geotechnologies and the Environment (M. Patterson and N. Pullen, eds.), Springer-Verlag.
Dappen, P R, I Ratcliffe, C Robbins and J W Merchant (2008) Mapping agricultural land coverfor hydrologic modeling in the Platte River watershed of Nebraska. Great Plains Research 18(1):39-52.
Merchant, J.W. and P.R. Dappen (2013). Remote Sensing Enables Modeling of Groundwater PollutionRisk, in Meeting Environmental Challenges with Remote Sensing Imagery (pp. 54-57), R. Dodge and R. Congalton, eds., VA: American Geosciences Institute.
Merchant, J.W. and P.R. Dappen (2010). Employing a Geographic Information System forWetlands Management in Nebraska’s Rainwater Basin, Chapter 7 in Geospatial Technologies in Environmental Management (pp. 103-118), N. Hoalst-Pullen and M.W. Patterson, eds., New York: Springer
- 2003 Midwest Arc Users Conference September 22-24, 2003, Second place award for poster entitled “Delineation of 2001 Land Use Patterns for the Cooperative Hydrology Study in the Platte River Basin”
- 2002 ESRI International User Conference July 8-12, 2002, Second place award for poster under the category of Best Data Integration, poster entitled “Sediment Modeling in the Rainwater Basin of Nebraska”
- University of Nebraska IANR Outstanding Employee of the Month, July/August 2002